bank

Promontory Fort Survey – Week 2

Week 2 of our geophysical survey of a selection of Gower Iron Age promontory forts finds the team at Paviland.   The site is possibly more famous for the discovery of the ‘Red Lady’ during the re-excavation of the site by Reverend William Buckley in the 1800’s, than for the Iron Age promontory fort that crowns its peaks.

The fort, also known as Yellow Top,  has a central area roughly 40m by 44m, within which traces of settlement have possibly been identified using aerial photography.  On the landward side of the site are two lines of banks and ditches, around 32m apart, with the inner bank having a causewayed entrance.

Advertisements