The start to the second week of the project has been really encouraging. On Monday the weather was kind to us, as unlike the rest of South Wales it did not rain in Margam. However, it was windy and we had to wrestle with the tent that Dr Evans brought down for us last week, as it threatened to blow away in the wind with us in it!
We were able to survey using the total station the internal wall of the chancel and the remaining internal walls of the south transept where a side chapel would have been. We were able to get some good detail on these walls, recording the two recesses in the wall that would have served as a small alter.These recesses were described by one of the volunteers as looking like pizza ovens.
On the photography front we began to survey the external face of the chapter house entrance and began to record the internal walls of the chapter house. We had some extra help with the photography in the afternoon with one of our volunteers, scheduled help out next week turning up!
On Tuesday the good spell of weather we had had on Monday and the previous week had ended and we arrived on site in the rain. Luckily the rain stopped shortly after and held off for most of the day. We were also sharing the Margam Park and the Orangery Car park with a film company, filming for a new T.V. series called Da Vinci’s Deamons. They were filming at the castle and did not interfere with the recording, however it did spark some interesting conversations at lunch. Just after the lunch break we were visited by a photographer form the Evening Post who took photos of Rowena and myself working and a group photo with the volunteers.
On the project front we continued to photograph the internal wall faces of the chapter house and record the extent of the damage. With a fantastic effort from the volunteers we have have almost finished the recording the inside of the chapter house and will be moving on to the vaulted remains of the east cloister/vestibule walls. We have also moved on with the total station recording, the arches of the vestibule and the internal face of a small section of the nave wall have been surveyed in. We were able to put in another survey peg before the end of the day ready to survey the outer face of the east cloister wall tomorrow.
The day ended a little early today as unfortunately the heavens opened with half an hour left so we decided to call it a day.
One big positive from last week and the start of the week is the enthusiasm the volunteers have shown and any chance to volunteer for extra days have been snapped up immediately.
Community Archaeologist Trainee