One hundred years on the generation that witnessed it has almost gone, and what we are left with are the physical remains – buildings, landscapes and artefacts. Archaeology has an important role to play in understanding and remembering this global conflict. The Welsh Archaeological Trusts, grant aided by Cadw, are focusing on the First World War over the next few years to coincide with the centenary of the war.
Over the subsequent years GGAT will be looking at the following five themes:
- The Sinews of War – Industry/manufacturing
- The Call to Arms – The militarised landscape
- Casualties of War – Hospitals and welfare facilities
- Defence of the Realm – Coastal defences and port facilities
- Their Names Liveth for Evermore – Commemoration and remembrance
There will be opportunities to get involved, visit sites and help in the research and recording.
To learn more visit the Legacy of the First World War website